Eliminate blood culture contamination.
Introducing Steripath® Gen2– the vein-to-bottle, closed blood culture collection system that is clinically proven to virtually eliminate the preventable error of blood culture contamination and false-positive results for sepsis.
of virtually eliminating blood culture contamination with Steripath
Improve Patient Safety
• Reduce the risk of C. Diff & antibiotic-resistant infections by decreasing unecessary antibiotic usage
• Reduce the risk of HAC/HAIs due to unnecessarily extended length of stay
Drive Antibiotic Stewardship
Reduce broad-spectrum antibiotic use
Supports compliance with federal and state mandates to reduce inappropriate antibiotic usage
Reduce Hospital Costs
Avoid non-reimbursable costs for:
• Additional procedures, clinical coordination and length of stay
• Unnecessary antibiotics, HAI/HAC events
Enhance Quality Outcome Metrics
• Positively impact key CMS quality outcome metrics including reduced C. Diff. & HAI occurrences
• Reduce false reporting for CLABSIs by by virtually eliminating false-positive blood cultures
A Contaminated Culture
Blood cultures remain the gold standard for diagnosing sepsis– the leading cause of death and readmission in US hospitals. Even with best practices, between 35-50% of positive blood culture results are contaminated, resulting in false-positive diagnoses that place over one million lives at risk each year.
Even current best practices are susceptible to:
Risk of contamination during assembly and preparation of supplies, and skin prep
You can disinfect but not sterilize the skin; up to 20% of skin flora remains viable in the keratin layer of the skin even after skin prep
Skin plugs, when present, will always enter the culture specimen bottle and commonly will contain microorganisms
Technology & Features
Initial Specimen Diversion Mechanism
diverts and sequesters the initial (potentially contaminated) specimen into the isolation chamber
Specimen Isolation Chamber
ensures sequestered contaminants are isolated from the blood culture specimen
enables necessary adjustments for “hard stick” patients with low venous pressure through negative pressure
Independent 2nd Sterile Blood Flow Path
allows only pure venous blood, without skin contaminants, to flow into culture bottles
Comes Preassembled & Sterile
to eliminate touch-point contamination
Steripath is available in multiple configurations
Users can collect blood cultures through peripheral sticks and initial IV starts. It is also compatible with standard blood collection tubes and culture bottles made by BD, bioMerieux and certain Thermo Scientific products.
Available Transfer Adapters
We’re with you, every step of the way
Our Clinical Partnership Includes:
• Pre-training and logistics including implementation planning meetings and online training
• Initial onsite implementation including train-the-trainer programs, sharing best practices, demonstrations, coaching, and training certifications
• Post-training resources including ongoing online training, onsite education, and retention modules
• Ongoing clinical support including tracking, reporting, compliance programs, root cause analysis, and clinical reviews
We Guarantee Your Results
With our proven technology, we guarantee you will achieve a sustained reduction in blood culture contamination of 50% or greater.
Optimize our partnership
For our most dedicated customers, our Blood Culture Integrity Partnership Program offers the greatest value and return. Ask us how.